Department of Hotel Management and Catering Technology was established in 2003, under the banner of the Birla Institute of Technology. The dept. offers a 4-year degree programme in Hotel Management & Catering Technology approved by the AICTE. The Department is determined to create a world-class center in hospitality education, with the technical assistance of experts and reputed personalities from the industry and academics. Within a short span of time from its inception, the dept. has achieved the position of being one of the most sought after Institute of Hotel Management in India.
Department is equipped with training kitchens, housekeeping laboratory, front office laboratory, computer laboratory, and Internet center; state–of–the–art auditorium and conference center, and a world-class library which ensure practical training in a professional hotel environment.
Students are placed at various hotels of international repute like Taj, Oberoi, Leela, ITC, Marriot, Hyatt to name a few.
To become a globally recognized hospitality institution for creating skilled human resource to meet the professional Hospitality Industry needs across the globe.
- To create salubrious environment to provide excellent state of the art facilities meeting the hospitality industry requirement.
- To provide excellent technological support to bridge the gap between academic and industry to fulfill the overall academic need of the society.
- To ensure all round development of the students and to create a platform for turning out hospitality professional who can assume leadership position in society.
- To provide high quality course structure to enable qualified professionals to meet the hospitality needs globally.
- To develop effective teaching skill and research potentials of the faculty members.
Programme Educational Objectives
- To develop capability to understand the fundamentals of Hotel industry for analyzing the business problems with futuristic approach.
- To foster a confident and competent graduate capable to solve real life practical Hotel Industry problems fulfilling the obligation towards society.
- To inculcate an attitude for identifying and undertaking developmental work both in Industry as well as academic environment with emphasis to continuous learning enabling to excel in competitive participation at a global level.
- To nurture and nourish effective communication and interpersonal skill to work in a team with a sense of ethics and moral responsibility for achieving goal.
- Develop students with an in-depth understanding of the operational aspects and knowledge of the underlying principles of the hotel industry.
- Making students familiar with the practical aspects of the hospitality industry.
- Develop professional skills of strategic management issues involved in operating hotels and train students for operational, supervisory and management positions.
- Enhance the techniques of advanced technological uses in hotel industry.
- Business Knowledge – Students will be able to master the key frameworks, models, and skills that reflect the body of knowledge in their major and will apply discipline-based habits of analytical thinking to problems and opportunities. Be skilled in the analysis of both qualitative information and quantitative data.
- Communication Skills – Students will be able to synthesize and summarize information and to professionally communicate their analyses, arguments, and recommendations to a variety of audiences. Be skilled in written, oral, and visual communication and will be able to effectively choose communication methods that are appropriate to the topic, objective, and setting.
- Quantitative Skills – Students will be able to understand, analyse and use quantitative data to make business decisions and report to stake holders. Identify quantitative characteristics of a problem, to examine and interpret numerical data and to analyse numerical data to derive conclusions.
- Critical Thinking Skills – Evaluate, analyse and interpret information to solve problems and make business decisions. Interpret and evaluate unstructured situations; to define the problem; to apply theories to ambiguous situations and to draw conclusions and implement solutions.
- Technology – Demonstrate proficiency in the use of information technology. Students will use information systems to select, manipulate and process data in a meaningful way in order to make business decisions and use software tools to solve accounting, financial and quantitative problems.
- Ethics – Understand and evaluate ethical issues and situations to make business decisions. Recognize ethical problems in both domestic and international business contexts identify alternatives and make appropriate ethical choices.
- Multicultural and Diversity – Students, particularly those who pursue the degree in international business concentration, will develop an awareness and understanding of the cultural issues that impact business operations in a global society.
- Demonstrate learning – Enhancing skills in hospitality core areas at various position of specialization addressing customer satisfaction.
The Department of Hotel Management & Catering Technology presently offers a four-year (8 Semester) Bachelor's Degree in Hotel Management & Catering Technology (BHMCT). This programme is approved by AICTE. The program lays emphasis on practical application of theoretical lessons through training, laboratory work, hands-on workshops, theme parties, projects, and study tours. To have a real life experience of Industry students go on "Industrial Exposure Training" for 6 months in various Star Hotels.
The Department provides Training & Consultancy services in various aspects of Hospitality & Tourism. Various Short term Training programmes and Seminars are organized from time to time. It conducted a six-month certificate course in Accommodation Operation for the students sponsored by Department of Welfare, Govt. of Jharkhand.
Dr. Abhinav Kr. Shandilya
Department of Hotel Management & Catering Technology
BIT- Mesra, Ranchi
(M) - 9472711951
For student activities click on the following links: