The Department of Biotechnology was established in 2002 with financial support from the Department of Agriculture, Government of Jharkhand, with objectives like providing education and training facilities, carrying out application oriented research, developing in-house technologies and promoting consultancy services in various areas of Biotechnology.
The Department of Bioengineering has a vision to impart international standard quality education in the field of Bioscience, Biotechnology and Bioengineering.
- To create state-of-the-art infrastructure for Research and Training in Biotechnology and Bioengineering.
- To provide globally acceptable technical education in Bioscience, Biotechnology and Bioengineering.
- To nurture graduates for innovation and creativity in the field of Bioscience, Biotechnology and Bioengineering having ethical and social concern.
- To promote collaboration with Academia, Industries and Research Organizations at National and International level.
- To contribute to socio-economic development through education and bioentrepreneurship.
Department at a glance
Independent building about 35000 sq. ft.
Young, dynamic and learned faculty
1 UG, 4 PG and, Ph.D. Program
A Center of Excellence (COE) under TEQIP, Phase II sponsored by World Bank
BTISnet SubDIC Bioinformatics center for Jharkhand
More than 50 externally funded projects from funding agencies like DST, DBT, UGC, AICTE, ICMR, CSIR etc.
A mixed balanced of well recognized faculty members
Rich academic and research profile
All faculties with minimum Doctoral degree
Programmes offered at a glance
B.Tech. Biotechnology (4 years) - Accredited by The National Board of Accreditation (NBA)
M.Sc. Biotechnology (2 years)
M.Tech. Biotechnology (2 years) - Accredited by The National Board of Accreditation (NBA)
Infrastructure for Research
12 well equipped high end research laboratories dedicated to Molecular Biology, Genetic Engineering and Cell Biology, Plant and Animal Biotechnology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Proteomics, Bioinformatics, Bioprocess Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Environmental Biotechnology, Biomedical Instrumentation and Imaging
The new 'state-of-the-art' instrumentation facilities include: GC-Mass Spectrophotometer, Real Time PCR, FPLC, HPLC, UPLC-QTOF,UPLC-MS/MS, Spray dryer, Rotary evaporator, Ultra water purification system, Typhoon Laser imager, Lypholizer, Thermal cyclers, Gene pulser, Microplate reader, 2D electrophoresis system, SCF extraction system, Spectrophotometers, Fluorimeters, Modern microscope with digital imaging system, Stereo microscope with colony counter, Fluorescence microscope, Lab and Pilot scale Bioreactors
Wheat Leaf Rust SNP db1.0
Dr. Ramesh Chandra
Professor & Head
Department of Bio-Engineering
BIT- Mesra, Ranchi