M.Tech (Remote Sensing) course is accreditated by National Board of Accreditation (NBA)
|Department of Remote Sensing was established in 1997 with an aim to meet the increasing demand for qualified manpower in this rapidly developing field. Application of Remote Sensing / Geoinformatics techniques using tools such as Geographic Information System (GIS) and Global Positioning System (GPS) in various activities including resources evaluation, environmental monitoring and land use/land cover mapping etc, has grown considerably during the last few decades and RS data products are increasingly being used for plan formulation at all levels. An essential pre-requisite to partaking in these opportunities is the building of various indigenous capacities for the development and utilization of space science and technology.
Department of Remote Sensing is now a FIST-DST sponsored department and is also SAP (Special Assistance Programme) supported by UGC.
|The Significance of Remote Sensing
The world is being scanned constantly by highly sophisticated Earth Resources Satellites like IRS (India), LANDSAT (USA), SPOT (France), ERS (ESA), RADARSAT (Canada), IKONOS and Quickbird etc. Availability of repetitive remote sensing (RS) data in digital and pictorial forms has increased the scope of identifying, mapping, monitoring, classifying and evaluating different forms of renewable and non-renewable earth resources using multi-spectral, multi scanner and multi-temporal RS data products. The benefits of space technology, both direct and indirect, have introduced new dimensions into the study and understanding of Earth’s processes and in improving the quality of life for the people living on it.
Be a centre of excellence in the field of Remote Sensing and Geoinformatics Technology education and research to match the needs of ever increasing requirement of human resources in these fields and to cater to the larger interest of the Society and Nation.
- Impart quality education and equip the students with strong foundation that could make them capable of handling challenges of the ever advancing technologies.
- Maintain state-of-the-art in research facilities and integrity with the world's leading universities and research organisations for constant improvement in the quality of education and research.
Programme Educational Objectives
- To prepare the students in identifying, analysing and solving geospatial problems.
- To train the students in developing practical and executable solutions to the challenges of growing field of Remote Sensing and GIS.
- To impart the students with strong base of knowledge that makes them suitable both for industries as well as for teaching and research.
- To inculcate the students with the sensitivity towards ethics, public policies and their responsibilities towards the Society.
Department offers following two-year Post Graduate Programmes
- M. Tech. in Remote Sensing
- M.Sc. in Geoinformatics
ELIGIBILTY CRITERIA FOR ADMISSION IN POST GRADUATE PROGRAMMES
Ph.D. in all branches of Remote Sensing, GIS, Earth Sciences
Ph. D. Entrance Exam Syllabus
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR PH.D. ADMISSION
Dr. C. Jeganathan
Professor & Head, Department of Remote Sensing
BIT Mesra, Ranchi, Jharkhand-835 215 India
Phones:+91 651 2276003 (O), +91 651 2275444(+4468)