Department has been recognized for its significant research outputs. A number of funding agencies like: University Grants Commission, All India Council of Technical Education, Department of Sciences and Technology, Indian Council of Agricultural Research, Indian Forest Research Institute, Defense Research Development Organization, CSIR, ICAR, ICMR, DST, BMBF (Germany), UGC-UKIERI etc. have sanctioned many innovative R&D projects to the Department. Department frequently organizes Quality Improvement Programs, Workshops, Seminars and Conferences sponsored by various agencies. A few National and International events are on the card of its activities.
Thrust areas of research for different groups are as follows:
- New Drug Delivery Systems
- BA/BE Studies
- Nanotechnology Based Formulation Development
- Exploration of Natural molecules as Pharmaceutical Adjuvant
- Standardization of Ayurvedic Drug/Polyherbal Formulations
- In silico design, synthesis (conventional, microwave, development of combinatorial solution phase synthetic techniques) and evaluation of novel candidate compounds with special reference to heterocyclic moieties and small peptides in the field of antimicrobial, antiprotozoal, antiviral, antiHIV, anticancer, analgesic, antihistaminic, anticonvulsant, cardiovascular, antidiabetic and other activities.
- Molecular modeling, docking, QSAR and solution phase ADME studies using CADD based software like Sybyl 7.1, Glide, Flex X and Scigress Explorer.
- Natural products-chemistry/pharmacology/structure standardization/ using spectroscopic methods (UV-VIS/IR/NMR/MS etc.)
- Studies on synthetic nutraceuticals
- Analytical and Bioanlaytical Chemistry
- General pharmacological screening, in vitro and in vivo toxicological studies of new bioactive molecules from synthetic and natural sources.
- Neuropharmacological studies of bioactive molecules with special reference to cognitive functions.
- Studies of bioactive molecules on experimentally induced diabetes, and its implications in animal models.
- Biochemical and Molecular Pharmacological studies of bioactive molecules.
- Antioxidant and DNA protective properties of bioflavonoids
- Validation of traditional systems of medicine
- Validated methodologies for development of new herbal formulations.
- Development of Drug molecules from natural sources and their enhancement by biotechnological approaches.
- Exploring natural resources for novel drug delivery systems.
- Standardization of traditional drugs and polyherbal formulations