The mission of the Department of Architecture & Planning is to foster a student-centered educational program in architecture and urban planning. The programmes through its pedagogy which is heuristic and responsive to technological, cultural, and social environments, seeks to offer a diverse, interdisciplinary and rigorous curriculum that will promote personal development and professional excellence. The Department is committed to:
- Imparting strong fundamental concepts to students and motivate them to find innovative solutions to architectural and planning problems independently
- Developing architects and planners with managerial attributes capable of applying the latest technology with responsibility
- Creation of congenial atmosphere and excellent research facilities for undertaking quality research by faculty and students
The underlying vision for the Department of Architecture & Planning is to make the department an academic knowledge hub that will actively contribute in the contemporary domain, by
- Providing innovative professionals who will contribute wholesomely to nation-building.
- Providing individuals who can make significant contributions to the advancement of society.
- Preparing students for leadership roles in the fields of Architecture
Programme Educational Objective for BARCH
1. To provide a high-quality education that prepares students to assume professional roles in architecture by imparting sound knowledge in design theories and applications, building technologies, social-cultural, environmental factors and applications of computer-aided design.
2. To prepare students to work in multidisciplinary teams within the building industry by providing knowledge in built environment-related disciplines relevant to professional ethics and obligation.
3. Prepare professionals to tackle and manage resource constraints in professional situations through appropriate project management and real estate interventions.
4. Engage in lifelong learning, additional and continual formal education, professional development, research activities and self-study to provide high-quality service to the general public, employees, client and other professionals.
Program Outcomes (PO) for BARCH
A graduate shall
- Be competent in applying basic knowledge of architecture, building science, and technology for the purpose of obtaining a solution to a multi-disciplinary problem.
- Gain skillful knowledge of complex architectural problems and its analysis
- Be able to design components of the built environment by applying relevant building bye-laws and regulations.
- Be proficient in arriving at an innovative solution to a problem with due considerations to society and environment
- Be capable of undertaking appropriate research methods to solve an architectural problem to arrive at a valid solution based on appropriate interpretations of data.
- Continually upgrade his/her understanding and become adept at modern architectural knowledge, tools, and techniques in order to apply them relevantly.
- To demonstrate consciousness of societal and environmental issues relevant to professional architectural practice and contribute to sustainable development.
- Be committed to professional ethics, responsibilities, and economic, environmental, societal, and political norms.
- Demonstrate appropriate interpersonal skills to function effectively as an individual, as a member or as a leader of a team and in a multi-disciplinary setting
- Be able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentations; give and receive clear instructions; make effective presentations and communicate effectively and convincingly on architectural issues with the architectural community and with the interest of society at large.
- Be conscious of the financial aspects of all professional activities and shall be able to undertake projects with appropriate management control and control on cost and time.
- Recognize the need for continuous learning and upgrade their architectural knowledge for growth in their professional careers.
Programme Specific Objectives for B.Arch Course
To enhance the capability of the students’ to design components of the built environment by applying relevant building bye-laws and regulations.
To orient students for being committed to professional ethics, responsibilities, and economic, environmental, societal, and political norms.
To continually upgrade the students’ understanding so as to become adept in modern architectural knowledge, tools and techniques in order to apply them relevantly
Programme Educational Objective for MUP
1. To provide a high-quality education that prepares students to assume professional roles in the field of urban planning by imparting sound knowledge in the core, allied and specialized subjects with the help of the latest technologies and imparting compulsory training in the practical field.
2. To prepare students to work in the multi-disciplinary and challenging environment of the building industry in the managerial capacity of handling various urban planning related projects with due respect to professional ethics and social obligation.
3. To orient students towards various research activities related to the field as well as other emerging fields of interest, which may lead them towards further studies and take up a PhD program.
4. To engagein lifelong learning, additional and continual formal education, professional development, and self-study in order to provide high-quality service to the building industry and overall academic needs of the society.
Program Outcomes (PO) for MUP
A post-graduate shall
- Be competent in applying advanced knowledge of urban and regional planning issues for the purpose of obtaining a solution to a multi-disciplinary problem.
- Gain skillful knowledge of complex planning problems and its analysis
- Be proficient in arriving at innovative solutions to a problem with due considerations to society, environment, ethics, and legislation.
- Be capable of undertaking appropriate research methods to solve an urban and regional problem to arrive at valid solutions based on appropriate interpretations of data.
- To demonstrate consciousness of societal and environmental issues relevant to professional practice and contribute to sustainable development.
- Recognize the need for continuous learning and upgrade their planning knowledge for growth in their professional careers.
(last three points of PO are PSO of the programme.)