The research carried out in the Department is oriented towards the applied end of the research spectrum. Hence most of the results are of direct relevance to the needs of the society at large.
Synthesis of novel graft copolymers and their characterization.
Application of graft copolymers as flocculent for water/wastewater treatment.
Application of graft and crosslinked-graft copolymers as matrix for controlled and targeted drug delivery (with emphasis on colon targeted drug delivery).
Synthesis of novel tailormade crosslinked graft copolymers for selective adsorption of transition metal ions from aquatic systems (for environmental cleanup).
Application of graft copolymers and IPN’s (Inter polymeric network) as Scaffold in tissue engineering applications.
Conducting polymer, nanocomposites, bio & gas sensor applications
Bioinorganic Chemistry and Renewable Energy
- Electrocatalytic and Photocatalytic study of transition metal complexes for
- Water Oxidation
- Hydrogen Evolution
- Carbon dioxide Reduction
- Biomimetic Study on the active site structure of metalloenzymes
- Electrochemical and Photophysical study of Ruthenium based Photosensitizers
- Dye Sensitized Solar Cell
- Environmental analysis (water & soil)
- Novel adsorbents for removal of arsenic from potable water.
Semiconductors and Device Applications
- Development of organic-inorganic perovskite semiconductors
- Synthesis of molecular and polymeric semiconductors
- Semiconductor device (FET, PV, LED, Piezo) fabrication for clean energy harvesting
Organic-Medicinal Chemistry and Molecular Modeling
Computational and Theoretical Chemistry
The Department of Chemistry has initiated Research collaboration with the following Universities and Institutions:
- National Centre for Cell Science, Pune (DBT Institute)
- ICMR Virus Unit, Kolkata (Indian Council of Medical Research)
- Center for Chronic Viral Diseases, Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Kagoshima University Kagoshima 890-8544, Japan.