Birla Institute of Technology has consistently been amongst the elite academic establishments in the country, playing an inspiring role in both education and research. In its journey spanning more than five decades, BIT has crossed several milestones in every sphere of education, from those that are purely scholastic to those which pertain to co-curricular activities or administrative measures. The following achievents and distictions are a indication of its position as a leader in academic excellence.
- The first technical institution to establish a Department of Space Engineering & Rocketry way back in 1964, first to establish static rocket test firing facility and to offer P.G. programmes in the strategic areas in association with the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO).
- BIT initiated the concept of Science & Technology Entrepreneurs Park (BIT-STEP) well before it was adopted as a national model. Central facilities and guidance was provided to fresh graduates of the Engineering College and a unique tie-up with the public sector banks as well as the Central and State Government helped them to establish small-scale industries.
- The first institution to be granted autonomous status in 1972 under UGC Act.
- BIT is one of the first Technical Universities to establish overseas centres in 2000 in the Kingdom of Bahrain.
- BIT happens to be the first institute in the eastern region to offer the U.G. level stream in the field of Polymer Engineering.
- BIT has the unique distinction of having established seven campuses in different parts of the country and four overseas centres in addition.
- BIT has, over the years, established international linkages and academic partnership with several leading universities in the USA and Europe.
- BIT was the only Indian University to be a part of the EAGER NETWIC Project of the Asia Link programme of the European Commission where five leading countries from across the globe were associated for higher education and research in the field of Wireless Communication Technologies.
- BIT is into collaborative R&D work with the United Research Technology Centre (URTC).
- BIT established a Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences in the year 1972, a Department of Architecture in 1993 and a Department of Hotel Management & Catering Technology in 2002.
- Land Surface Atmosphere and Micrometeorological Observational System (LATAMOS)
A DST, GOI Sponsored Programme
Department of Applied Mathematics has established a Land Surface Atmosphere and Micrometeorological Observational System (LATAMOS) comprising agro meteorological observatory and micrometeorological tower at Main campus of the Institute at Mesra. The Set-up includes various ground-based equipments to measure and record soil temperature at different depths, soil heat flux, soil moisture, rainfall, humidity, evaporation and duration of sunshine.
- A high-end Central Instrumentation Facility (CIF) has been instituted at BIT under Technical Education Quality for Improvement Programme (TEQIP).
- Srikanta Pal, Assoc. Professor, ECE, BIT, Mesra, makes World News
National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO), GREEN Bank, USA has installed the research products of Srikanta Pal directly after the cooled low noise amplifies (LNAs) in their giant 110M x 100M diameter GBT (GREEN BANK TELESCOPE, the World's largest and finest single dish fully steerable radio telescope which has the capability of seeing the entire sky over any earth location.) 1.73-2.60 GHz (S-Band) receiver front-end.