For over six decades, BIT Mesra (located 16 kms from Ranchi, theJharkhand state-capital) has been engaged in nurturing
minds through a rich heritage of academic excellence. Essentially a hub of bustling student activities, the beautiful campus has been a second-home to thousands of students in their journey to challenge the times.
Established in 1955 by visionary-industrialist Mr. B.M. Birla, it is today one of the most premier engineering destinations in India.
- Established in 1955 by Mr. B M Birla.A premier technical institute and deemed University.
- Main Campus Size - 780 acres
- Total number of registered students across all centres - more than 10,000.Doctoral students - 150
- Programmes offered - Undergraduate, Post- graduate, Doctoral
- Graduate degrees awarded - over 18,000
- Postgraduate degrees offered - over 2500
To become a Globally Recognised Academic Institution in consonance with the social, economic and ecological environment, striving continuously for excellence in education, research, and technological service to the National needs.
- To educate students at Under Graduate, Post Graduate, Doctoral, and Post-Doctoral levels to perform challenging engineering and managerial jobs in industry.
- To provide excellent research and development facilities to take up Ph.D. programmes and research projects.
- To develop effective teaching learning skills and state of art research potential of the faculty.
- To build national capabilities in technology, education, and research in emerging areas.
- To provide excellent technological services to satisfy the requirements of the industry and overall academic needs of society.
BIT, Mesra is a "Deemed University" under Sec. 3 of the U.G.C. Act 1956. The Board of Governors is responsible for the main functions and overall supervision of activities. It comprises representatives of the Ministry of Education, Government of India, the U.G.C., the State Government, The Chancellor, the AICTE, The Hindustan Charity Trust and the Institute Faculty. Shri C.K. Birla is the Chairman of the Board of Governors while the Governor of the state of Jharkhand officiates as the Institute's Chancellor. There's a Technical Council that decides the academic policy of the Institute.
Academics and Infrastructure
Keeping up with the times has never been enough at BIT as it has mostly been either at the top of ranking surveys or the first among initiators of path breaking ideas. From the introduction of new academic programmes to re-structuring the current ones, from improving infrastructure to upgrading teaching skills, the student's welfare has always been the focal point in BIT's larger picture. As a result, the Institute enjoys an unsurpassed reputation in academia and corporate circles being the preferred manpower source for many industries not only in India but also abroad.
BIT Mesra had been conceived with a vision to be recognized as a world-class learning institution for engineering and technology. But it has moved beyond the fulfillment of a scholastic promise to re-defining education in the new age through creation of aptitude and comprehensive intelligence. Targets are achieved everyday, only to make space for newer dreams.
Campus life is undoubtedly the most cherished memory for a student and BIT ensures that discipline is properly coupled with a more than adequate share of fun and excitement. Students share an open and transparent bond with the faculty and other staff members and everybody puts in their very best to make the Institute a great place to live and learn in. Completely residential, the campus is self-contained with excellent hostel facilities and hangout zones. With more than 10,000 registered students spread across the main campus at Mesra, seven other centres within India and three overseas centres, BIT is today a global name. Along with Undergraduate and Postgraduate Programmes, the Institute has more than 150 registered students for Doctoral Programmes at present.
A few 'firsts' for BIT
BIT is the first Institute to …
- Establish a department dedicated to Space Engineering & Rocketry way back in 1964.
- Introduce the concept of Small Industries Entrepreneurs' Park, which has become very successful since then.
- Provide 'nursery sheds' and central designing and workshop facilities to young entrepreneurs. It also facilitated the initial project funding.
- Establish overseas extension centres in the year 2000.
- It is one of the few Universities to be accorded a Super Computer at the core of its ultramodern IT infrastructure.
BIT Mesra has been accredited by the National Assessment & Accreditation Council (NAAC) & the National Board of Accreditation (NBA) established by the UGC & AICTE respectively.
The Institute has made significant forays into international academics by becoming a part of international ventures and tie-ups. BIT Mesra has collaborative arrangements with Universities in the USA, UK & Canada. It is also an active member of the 'EAGER NETWIC' Project under the Asia Link programme of European Commission. This is to establish a world-class academic network of higher education in the rapidly growing field of Wireless and Mobile Communication between the five partner Universities.